Chris's Rants

Saturday, March 13, 2004

Went to a fight and a hockey game broke out

Tom Glover writes about the most recent incident of excessive violence in the NHL.

I agree, the violence is completely unnecessary. It's one of the reasons that I am not an avid NHL fan, though I did enjoy playing hockey as a kid. It is interesting though that in the minor leagues (we have the Worcester Ice Cats and P-Bruins nearby), there isn't nearly as much violence as you typically find in the NHL... I had always thought it is because those kids are skating to get noticed by the NHL franchises their minor league teams feed. When we do go to a hockey game, we go to an Ice Cats game or occasionally a P-Bruins game, they are much more enjoyable because there's far less fighting.

But to his main point, I agree that while Todd Bertuzzi certainly deserves whatever punishment is meted out to him for his act, the real culprits are the team owners and corporations that have, and will likely continue to, fostered if not encouraged this sort of behavior in the belief that it would improve the bottom line.

I doubt that they'll face the music though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home