Chris's Rants

Monday, April 25, 2005

Jazzfest

OMG! The past two days were simply awesome! Fantastic music, great food, incredibly good weather, good company.

The highlights on Saturday included Buddy Guy and Susan Tedeschi both of whom just rocked! Dave and I had dinner at Arnaud's (the Shrimp Arnaud's was to die for!) and then tried to get in to see Taj Mahal at Tipitino's, but the show was sold out. The only bummer of the whole weekend.

Sunday's best at the fest included Jon Cleary and the Swamp Pop reunion of which possibly the best was Phil Phillips' Sea of Love. The guy has to be pushing one hundred, but his pipes sound like he's in his twenties. Dr John was ok, but frankly not what I had hoped to hear. Seemed like he was just mailing it in.

Last night, Dave and I saw Jon Cleary, Chris Thomas King, and Charlie Musselwhite at the Snug Harbor club just outside the French Quarter and we were simply blown away. I've got some pics which I'll post when I get the chance.

The thing I can't get over though is the quality of the acts that they have assembled. Glen told Dave that the 2nd weekend is often the better of the two... check out these head-to-head matchups in next weekend's schedule:
  • Dave Matthews, Ike Turner, Elvis Costello
  • B.B. King and Jack Johnson
  • Issac Hayes and the Neville Brothers
How the heck are you supposed to choose!!!

Fortunately, some of the acts are recorded and available on CD... Unfortunately, the one act that I wanted dearly to get on CD was not recorded! Argh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home