Chris's Rants

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

We doan need no steenlin' warrants

Christopher Hitchens: What Reason Do We Have to Trust the State to Know Best? | The Huffington Post.

Hitchens gets it exactly right, IMO (aside from the fact that he still maintains that he is an unabashed supporter of what I believe to be an unjustified war).
Although I am named in this suit in my own behalf, I am motivated to join it by concerns well beyond my own. I have been frankly appalled by the discrepant and contradictory positions taken by the Administration in this matter. First, the entire existence of the NSA's monitoring was a secret, and its very disclosure denounced as a threat to national security.

[...]

But a power or a right, once relinquished to one administration for one reason, will unfailingly be exploited by successor administrations, for quite other reasons. It is therefore of the first importance that we demarcate, clearly and immediately, the areas in which our government may or may not treat us as potential enemies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home